Environment Month – Focus on Energy
One of the three ECO VISION 2025 commitments and ACTION 10 focus areas is to reduce our energy impact by half through developing fuel-efficient product innovations, reducing energy use in production and company activities and increasing use of renewable, efficient energy sources.
In addition to supporting our environmental sustainability goals, these commitments also support two of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDG): 7 “Affordable and Clean Energy” and 13 “Climate Action.”
- SDG Goal 7 is a commitment to ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy. Through this effort, we can provide access to energy for everyone and reduce the use of energy sources that emit greenhouse gases.
- SDG Goal 13 is taking urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts. This goal is working to address the policy and process changes needed to reduce greenhouse gases.
DENSO locations across North America have reduced CO2 emissions through energy audits, production efficiencies and innovations. In FY18, these efforts resulted in a 3.5% reduction of CO2 from FY17.
- Example 1: DENSO Manufacturing Tennessee established a cross-functional Energy Savings Committee who set goals using an energy Just-In-Time mindset. Their efforts have resulted in reducing 5,000 tons of CO2 through projects such as addressing air leaks, which eliminated 200 tons of CO2 and reduced repairs costs.
- Example 2: DENSO Manufacturing Athens Tennessee is using solar panels to operate the restroom lights and fountain at the site’s ecopark.
What You Can Do
Take your DENSO Spirit to find energy efficiencies in your life. Some examples:
- Turn off the lights and rely on natural light or the cozy glow from your TV
- Plug appliances into a power strip and turn the strip off when not in use
- Plug air leaks to increase energy efficiency and save money
- Replace older appliances with energy efficient models
- Bike, walk or use public transportation when an option
Share how you are supporting ECO VISION 2025 and DENSO’s energy commitments by sharing your activities and tips on social media and use #DENSOSpirit. Click here to learn more.